Arthroscopic Diagnosis Of Knee Disorder
Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive method of managing joint disorders. An arthroscope is a long, thin and flexible tube of fiber optic material with a camera and a light attached to one end. This end of the arthroscope is inserted within the knee joint via a small skin incision to observe the joint from within.
Your knee specialist in Mumbai can observe the images recorded by the camera on a large computer screen and identify signs of degeneration, inflammation or any pathological change within the knee joint. You will receive local or regional anesthesia prior to the procedure to numb your knee and prevent sensation of pain.
Arthroscopic Knee Surgery
Most of the knee joint surgeries are now performed using the minimally invasive arthroscopic technique. The open surgery method is rarely used for knee surgery nowadays, when arthroscopy is contraindicated.
Here are the steps of arthroscopic knee surgery:
- Local or regional anesthesia is used to numb the knee that will be operated.
- The patient is asked to lie down in a comfortable position and the knee is kept in a slightly flexed position, for the surgeon’s convenience.
- Via a small skin incision over the knee, an arthroscope is inserted within the diseased knee joint.
- A camera attached to one end of the arthroscope captures images of the diseased knee joint from inside.
- The images give a clear and unrestricted view to the surgeon, who then proceeds to repair the damage that has occurred within.
- After the diseased portion of the knee joint has been operated on, the arthroscope is removed, the soft tissue is replaced to its former position and the skin incision is sutured.
- The intermediate steps of arthroscopic knee surgery in Mumbai may vary depending on the condition to be treated.
Arthroscopic knee surgery is helpful in treatment of knee joint osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, removal of inflammatory debris accumulated within the knee joint and even for knee arthroplasty.
Advantages Of Arthroscopic Knee Treatment
Arthroscopy has evolved as one of the most preferred and trusted methods of surgical treatment for orthopedic disorders. This minimally invasive technique has several advantages over the old school method of open surgery.
Here are some notable benefits of knee arthroscopy:
- Due to smaller skin incision the risk of developing post surgery scars is very low
- There is very less exposure of internal tissue to the external environment during arthroscopy, thereby reducing the chances of post procedure infection
- Patients who undergo arthroscopy procedure for their knee tend to recover faster than those who undergo open knee surgery
Surgeons take the decision to perform arthroscopic knee surgery on patients only after a thorough physical examination and evaluation of the patient’s health.
Minor knee joint complaints have the potential to grow in intensity and cause considerable knee joint damage. If you are suffering from recurrent knee joint complaints, consult with a knee surgeon in Breach Candy hospital Mumbai at the earliest for prompt medical treatment.