Before Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Things to do before Shoulder Replacement Surgery/ What are the tests done before Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
The first time when you meet Shoulder Surgery Specialist, Dr. Amyn Rajani in his office, a complete history of yours will be taken. During this session, it is of utmost importance that you frankly discuss with him your medical history, present medical illness (Blood pressure problems, Diabetes Mellitus, Heart disease etc.) You should also mention if any surgery was performed on you in the past.
Please also bring a list of medications that you are taking currently. Medicines like Ecosprin (Aspirin), or Clopidogrel should be stopped at least 10 days prior to your Total Shoulder Replacement Surgery.
This will be followed by a complete physical examination of the Shoulder Joint. Special care will be taken to do a thorough examination of the Shoulder without giving you any pain. Once a complete examination is done, specialized x-rays of your Shoulder will be ordered, which will help to identify the stage of your arthritis in shoulder.
Steps after Shoulder Examination:
- After completion of the clinico-radiological evaluation, you will be explained about your ailment with the help of animation videos.
- If you may require a Total Shoulder Replacement Surgery, the procedure will be explained to you by customized animation videos.
- You will also be shown videos of patients with Arthritis in different stages who have undergone Total Shoulder Replacement Surgery, with reference to their pre-surgery ability and post-surgery ability videos.
- You will be given a specialized brochure and contact details of various patients operated by Dr. Amyn Rajani, so that you can share your queries and anticipation with them.
- During this session, you are free to ask any queries about Shoulder Replacement.
- If at all you require a surgery and wish to get it done by Shoulder Specialist in Mumbai, Dr. Amyn Rajani, then a series of investigations will be ordered for you.
Investigations before Shoulder Replacement Surgery:
- CBC, ESR
- FBS & PLBS
- LFT & RFT
- HIV, HBSAG & HCV
- PT & PTTK
- BLOOD GROUPING AND CROSS-MATCHING
- URINE ROUTINE & MICROSCOPY
- Chest X-ray Pa View
- 2D Echo
Questions to Ask Before Shoulder Replacement Surgery
- What type of anesthesia will I receive?
- How long will I stay in the hospital?
- How long will the Shoulder Replacement Surgery Procedure take?
- In how many days will I be able to resume my day-to-day activities?
- How many days will it take to recover from Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
- What about Sports after Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
Patient’s Guide to Shoulder Replacement Surgery
- It is very important to get into good mental shape before your surgery. Your brain believes what you tell it & you need to tell it to stay positive at all times.
- Seek help of your family and friends, they will help you calm the nerves before this big orthopaedic surgery..
- If you are a professional player/athlete then have realistic expectations about returning to sports.
Date of Surgery
Once Dr. Amyn Rajani feels that you are completely ready to go under the knife for Shoulder Replacement Surgery, the next e next available date will be given to you for the surgery, depending upon the waiting list. After you have specified the hospital and the type of room required for you, the necessary bookings for the room, the Implant (Prosthesis) and the operation theatre will be done.
At the Hospital
- Get admitted to the hospital a day prior to your Shoulder Replacement Surgery
- Dr. Amyn Rajani and an anesthetist will visit you a night before the surgery
- You will then be wheeled in to the operation theatre.