Before Shoulder Replacement Surgery
The first time when you meet Dr. Amyn Rajani in his office, a complete history of yours will be taken. During this session, it is of utmost importance that you mention to the doctor, of any past or present medical illness (Blood pressure problems, Diabetes Mellitus, Heart disease etc.) You should also mention if any surgery was performed on you in the past.
Please also bring a list of medications that you are taking currently. It is of utmost importance that medications like Ecosprin (Aspirin) or Clopidogrel should be stopped at least 10 days before the date of surgery.
This will be followed by a complete physical examination of the. Special care will be taken to do a thorough examination of the Shoulder without giving you any pain. Once a complete examination is done, specialized x-rays of your Shoulder will be ordered, which will help to identify the stage of your arthritis.
- After completion of the clinico-radiological evaluation, you will be explained about your ailment with the help of animation videos.
- If you may require a Shoulder Replacement Surgery, the procedure will be explained to you by customized animation videos.
- You will also be shown videos of patients with Arthritis in different stages who have undergone Shoulder Replacement Surgery, with reference to their pre-surgery ability and post-surgery ability videos.
- You will be given a specialized brochure and contact details of various patients operated by Dr. Amyn Rajani, so that you can share your queries and anticipation with them.
- During this session, you are free to ask any queries about Shoulder Replacement.
- If at all you require a surgery and wish to get it done by Dr. Amyn Rajani, then a series of investigations will be ordered for you.
Investigations Before Surgery
- CBC, ESR
- FBS & PLBS
- LFT & RFT
- HIV, HBSAG & HCV
- PT & PTTK
- BLOOD GROUPING AND CROSSMATCHING
- URINE ROUTINE & MICROSCOPY
- Chest X-ray Pa View
- 2D Echo
Once All Investigations are done, you will be asked to see a physician from the team to evaluate the fitness for anesthesia.
Once fitness for surgery has been obtained, the next available date will be given to you for the surgery, depending upon the waiting list. After you specify the hospital and the type of room required for you, the necessary bookings for the room, the Implant (Prosthesis) and the arrangements for operation theatre will be done.
Investigations Before Surgery:
- You will be required to get admitted to the hospital a day prior to the surgery.
- Dr. Amyn Rajani along with the Anaesthetist will visit you in your room in the evening before the surgery.
- In the morning of the surgery, the shoulder to be operated will be shaved, scrubbed and covered in a sterile cloth.
- You will then be wheeled into the operation theatre complex.