Before Partial Knee Replacement Surgery
The first time when you meet Dr. Amyn Rajani in his office, a complete history of your body will be taken. During this session it is of utmost importance that you mention to the doctor, of any past or present medical illness (Blood pressure problems, Diabetes mellitus, Heart disease etc). You should also mention if any surgery was performed on you in the past.
Please also bring a list of medications that you are currently taking. It is of utmost importance that medications like Ecosprin (Aspirin), or Clopidogrel stopped at least 10 days before the date of surgery.
This will be followed by a complete physical examination of the Knee Joint. Special care will be taken to do a thorough examination of the Knee without giving you any pain.
Once a complete examination is done, specialized X-rays of your Knees will be ordered, which will help us to identify the stage of your arthritis.
Stages of Osteoarthritis:
Mild Decrease in
Moderate Decrease in
Medial Compartmental Osteoarthiritis
Subluxation of Knee
Examination of your Knees:
- After completion of the clinico-radiological evaluation, you will be explained your disease with the help of animation videos.
- If you may require a Knee Replacement Surgery, the procedure will be explained to you by customized animated videos.
- You will also be shown videos of patients with Arthritis in different stages who have undergone Partial Knee Replacement Surgery, with reference to their pre-surgery ability and post-surgery ability videos.
- You will be given a specialised brochure and contact details of various patients operated by Dr. Amyn Rajani, so that you can share your queries and anticipation with them.
- During this session you are free to ask any queries you may have about Arthritis and Knee Replacement.
- If at all you require a surgery and wish to get it done by Dr. Amyn Rajani, then a series of investigations will be ordered for you.
Investigations Before Surgery:
- CBC, ESR
- FBS & PLBS
- LFT & RFT
- HIV, HBSAG & HCV
- PT & PTTK
- BLOOD GROUPIMG AND CROSS MATCHIMG
- URINE ROUTINE & MICROSCOPY
- X-RAY CHEST PA VIEW
- 2-D ECHO
Once all investigations are done, you will be asked to see a physician from the team to evaluate the fitness for anesthesia.
Date of the Surgery:
Once fitness for surgery has been obtained, the next available date will be given to you for the surgery, depending upon the waiting list. After we have specified the hospital and the type of room required for you, the necessary bookings for the room, the Implant (Prosthesis) and the operation theatre will be done.
At the Hospital:
- You will be required to get admitted in the hospital a day prior to the surgery.
- Dr. Amyn Rajani along with the anesthetist will visit you in your room in the evening before the surgery.
- In the morning of the surgery, the Knee to be operated will be shaved, scrubbed and covered in a sterile cloth.
- You will then be wheeled in to the operation theatre complex.