What Is Joint Replacement?
Joint replacement is a surgical procedure during which a diseased or degenerated joint is carefully separated from its muscular and tendinous attachments and removed from the body. A prosthesis is an artificially designed joint of plastic or other material that is non-reactive to body fluids and tissue. It is surgically fit to replace the degenerated joint. The prosthesis is a structural replica of a healthy joint, and also performs all the functions of that joint.
The knee joint, the elbow joint, and the shoulder joint are most likely to require replacement among all the other joints in the body. The entire joint or a part of it is replaced during the surgery, depending on the nature and extent of the joint damage. For example, if the knee joint is partially damaged, the surgeon may opt for partial knee replacement surgery in Mumbai. Only an experienced joint replacement surgeon in Breach Candy Hospital Mumbai may perform a joint replacement surgery. The surgeon will decide to perform joint replacement surgery only after conducting a thorough physical examination of the patient. In the olden days, surgeons had to make a large surgical incision on the skin to access the damaged joint. Today, due to the availability of advanced medical technology, minimally invasive techniques make it possible to perform joint surgery with very small skin incisions.
Common Indications For Joint Replacement Surgery
Some of the commonest indications for joint replacement surgery are mentioned below.
- Widespread degeneration of the joint
- Irreversible damage to the cartilage of the joint
- Structural damage to the joint, severe joint trauma
- Advanced arthritis of the joint
Advantages Of Joint Replacement Surgery
Joint replacement surgery (Arthroplasty) has the following advantages:
- Joint replacement surgery is a permanent treatment for debilitating joint disorders.
- Joint replacement allows patients to resume normal functional motility of the operated joint.
- Joint replacement surgery helps to restore the structural integrity of the joint and prevents joint stiffness.
- Joint replacement surgery prevents disorders of the muscles supporting the diseased joint.
- The long-term benefits of undergoing joint replacement surgery help to curb further health complications that could arise if the diseased joint was not treated properly.
Potential Risks Of Joint Replacement Surgery
- Joint replacement surgery is associated with the risk of developing septic arthritis. Localized pain, swelling, and loss of function of the joint may develop.
- The formation of blood clots within the joints is a rare but possible complication that may severely hamper functions of the newly operated joint
- Damage to the blood vessels, nerves, or muscles surrounding the joint is possible if due care is not taken during the surgery
- Open joint surgery exposes a large portion of the internal tissue which increases the possibility of infection
- Stiffness may develop in the newly operated joint if patients fail to follow the doctor’s instructions adequately
Every surgical procedure is associated with some known and unknown potential risks. But the benefits of the surgery almost always outweigh the risks. Joint replacement surgery is a boon to many who have developed irreversible or widespread damage to a single or multiple joints in the body.
Patients are advised to seek the opinion of an arthroscopic surgeon in Mumbai promptly, should they experience recurrent joint complaints.