Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement is a surgical procedure that involves removing the diseased and degenerated knee joint and replacing it with an artificial prosthesis. Knee replacement surgery may be total or partial, depending on the extent of the knee damage.
Total knee replacement in Mumbai involves removal and replacement of the entire knee joint with a prosthetic knee; whereas during partial knee replacement only the damaged portion of the knee is removed while leaving behind part of the knee joint untouched.
Both surgeries have their own benefits and suitabilities. Total knee replacement may not work for patients who require partial knee replacement surgery in Mumbai and vice versa.
Partial Knee Replacement
Partial knee replacement surgery involves removal of only the damaged or degenerated portion of the knee joint. Orthopedic surgeons usually opt for partial knee replacement if the knee damage is severe and is restricted to one condyle (anatomical space) of the knee. Therefore, partial knee replacement is also known as unicondylar knee replacement surgery.
Here are some benefits of partial knee replacement surgery:
- Minimally invasive techniques like arthroscopy are used to perform partial knee replacement, which helps to hasten recovery and prevent complications after the surgery
- Some part of the knee joint is left behind during surgery which provides support to the prosthesis that is attached to replace the damaged portion of the knee
- Recommended for advanced osteoarthritis that has targetted a segregated area of the knee
- Unicondylar surgery guarantees lesser blood loss during the procedure
- Patients can get back on their feet faster due to quick recovery post-surgery
Total Knee Replacement
During total knee replacement surgery the knee specialist in Mumbai removes the entire degenerated knee joint and replaces it with a newly designed prosthesis. This form of surgery is prefered when the damage to the knee joint is wide spread and not very severe. Total knee replacement surgery is useful in treating conditions like torn meniscus, osteoarthritis or septic arthritis of the knee joint.
Let us get to know how total knee replacement surgery is beneficial for patients with knee joint troubles:
- Since the entire joint is replaced with a new prosthesis the recurrence of knee joint troubles is reduced to a great extent.
- Total knee joint replacement is performed using techniques of arthroscopic knee surgery in Mumbai. Minimal invasion of deep tissues during the surgery reduces the chances of post-surgery infection to near zero.
- Patients recover faster after total knee replacement surgery as it becomes easier for them to regain the weight-bearing capacity of their newly operated and healthy knee joint.
- The prosthesis is fit with great skill and connected accurately to all the neighbouring muscles during total knee replacement surgery. This allows patients to perform muscle-strengthening exercises with great ease after the surgery.
Total and partial knee replacement surgeries have their own individual benefits. One cannot be deemed better than the other, as both have immense capacity to treat chronic and severe knee joint troubles.
People suffering from chronic knee joint troubles may be potential candidates for knee replacement surgery. Consult Dr. Amyn Rajani, Arthroscopy and Joint Replacement Surgeon in Mumbai and know which type of knee joint replacement surgery is best suited to your knee joint problems. Book an Appointment at 91-88989 75355, 91-98202 09137, 91-22-23619137.